J. Prince Shows Love For Megan Thee Stallion Despite Ongoing Lawsuit
The same man who Megan Thee Stallion accused of bullying her and other industry folks in a recent lawsuit is now putting the beef on temporary pause thanks to the “Savage” remix with Beyoncé.
On Wednesday, April 29th, Thee Stallion and Beyoncé surprise-released the remix of “Savage” despite the rapper’s ongoing legal battle with her label, 1501 Certified Entertainment, in which she argues that her label is taking more than they deserve in revenue from recordings and live events. Additionally, Thee Stallion‘s lawsuit called out 1501 label head Carl Crawford for using his relationship with Rap-A-Lot founder J. Prince as a means to intimidate industry folks.
According to TMZ, Thee Stallion‘s lawsuit for $1 MILLION in damages cites an incident in which Crawford pressured a producer to hand over beats by saying that Prince “would be pissed.” She adds that Prince is “notorious in the industry for strong-armed intimidation tactics,” and that the comment made to the producer was taken “as a physical threat of harm.”
To make things worse, Thee Stallion also accused J. Prince of disrespecting her mother who passed away from a brain tumor in March, 2019.
It looks like J. Prince is ready to put all this beef behind him, or at least temporarily, thanks to the “Savage” remix with Beyoncé. In a new Instagram post, the fellow Houston-native says he has “big respect” for Thee Stallion, Beyoncé, Jay-Z and 1501 Entertainment:
“In spite of lawsuits that are taking place, we all have come together on one accord for the purpose of helping those in need during this pandemic, by contributing proceeds from the ‘Savage’ Remix featuring Beyoncé to The Bread of Life Charity. This is how I love to see the powers of H-Town, United, at its best! Texas Stand up!”
View this post on Instagram
Big Respect to @1501_certified_ent @300ent Jay Z @beyonce and Megan @theestallion . In spite of lawsuits that are taking place, we all have come together on one accord for the purpose of helping those in need during this pandemic, by contributing proceeds from the Savage Remix featuring Beyoncé to The Bread of Life Charity. This is how I love to see the powers of H-Town, United, at its best! Texas Stand up! #TheArtAndScienceOfRespect #JPrince
As a consultant with 1501 Entertainment, TMZ reports Prince “had to sign off” on the remix because the label had paid for production. The outlet’s sources say Prince approved the song “in unity” to benefit Houston, as all proceeds from the track will go toward the city’s Bread of Life COVID-19 relief efforts.
The label drama all started in early March when Thee Stallion told fans on Instagram Live she was barred from releasing new music after attempting to renegotiate her contract with 1501.
Megan @TheeStallion says her independent label 1501 Certified Entertainment won’t allow her to release new music after she attempted to renegotiate her contract.
— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) March 1, 2020
In a lawsuit released the same week, the rapper claims that her contract with 1501 is unfair as the label gets 60 percent of her recording income. The remaining 40 percent goes to Thee Stallion, but she has to use that fund to also pay engineers, mixers, and featured artists.
The contract with 1501 also requires all money from the rapper’s touring and live performances be paid directly to the label, according to the lawsuit. Thee Stallion says 1501 is supposed to give her a proper accounting of what she’s owed, but claims their statements have been vague and incomplete.
Thee Stallion was granted a temporary restraining order following the lawsuit that allowed her to release the ‘Suga’ EP featuring “Savage.” The rapper is still working to get out of her contract with 1501 as her lawsuit is currently pending. Notably, J. Prince is not being sued by Megan despite numerous references to his name in the suit.